Bay Area Art Educators Annual Exhibition: Art/Work
OPEN CALL FOR ENTRIES: February 1- May 15, 2017
Mobile Museum of Art, in partnership with Bay Area Art Educators, is please to present the third annual exhibition Art/Work, an exhibition of art by local art educators.
2017 Curatorial Aim ‘Alabama’: In our continued celebration of our state, and in preparation for the bicentennial celebrations beginning this year, we are conducting an open call for art that explores the identity, history, and/or beauty of our great home state.
Alabama has always been just a little bit wild. From the Mobile-Tensaw Delta to Truman Capote, this is a place teaming with life, strange creatures, and storytellers. Or perhaps not, maybe the Alabama you know is steeped with tradition, genteel and measured? Is it the Alabama of Sieur de Bienville, Martin Luther King, Jr.or Joe Cain? Is it the Alabama on murky wetlands, red clay, or other ground altogether?
MMofA and BAAE are looking for work that explores Alabama identity in any medium. Whether you’re interested in the cultural history, or the soil itself, show us your Alabama. Any work that deals meaningfully with themes or ideas connected to place is welcome.
To Qualify: This opportunity is open for any artist actively teaching in Mobile or Baldwin County. Artists may submit up to 3 works of visual art, new media, photography, works on paper and small sculpture completed in the last 2 years detailed in JPEG or video format.
Starting February 1, 2017 please submit the following online:
- An Artist Statement (500 words or less)
- A Short Bio (500 words or less)
- A Current Resume or C.V.
- 3 High resolution images of your work (JPEG Format, 300 dpi minimum, 2000 pixels on the short edge)
- Title, Medium, and Dimensions for each piece
- Employment status and information
*All work must be original and completed within the last 2 years. Artists will retain all legal rights to their work during and after the exhibition.
The Deadline to submit work is May 15, 2017.
Selection Process: A selection committee will jury the exhibition, composed of 3 professionals in the field:
- Angie King, Mobile Museum of Art
- Amanda Solley, Alabama Contemporary Art Center
- Colleen Comer, Artist
- OPEN CALL: February 1 – May 15
- SELECTION OF WORK: May 16 – May 23
- NOTIFICATION: May 24 – May 26
- INTAKE: June 25 – June 30
- EXHIBITION DATES: July 7 – November 12
- CLOSING RECEPTION: November 9
- DE-INSTALL: November 13 – 16
- WORK PICK-UP: November 17 – 23
If you have any questions or issues in submitting work please contact Elizabet Elliott, Curator of Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 251.208.5237.